I constructed this meal one night when I was feeling particularly lazy but still wanted a decent home cooked dinner. It is therefore nice and easy to prepare, easy on the wallet and, since it actually lacks any chili at all, perfect for kids.
It’s naturally gluten-free and you can also omit the yoghurt and cheese for a vegan friendly version.
Not to mention it is super yummy!
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tin mixed beans
- 2 tins diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tin corn
- Handful of coriander (optional)
- 1/3 cup red onion
- Corn chips to serve
- Greek yoghurt to serve (omit for vegan meal)
- Grated cheese to serve (optional/omit for vegan meal)
- Cook 1 cup of rice. ( I use brown rice but any rice will do).
- Cook beef mince in a fry pan.
- Once meat is cooked add 2 tins of diced tomatoes and mixed beans. Season with cumin and paprika and mix well. Bring sauce to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa by combining the corn, red onion (diced), fresh tomato (diced) and coriander in a bowl.
- To serve place a small portion of rice in a bowl, top with beef mixture then grated cheese if you desire, followed by salsa and a tablespoon of Greek yoghurt. Eat with corn chips.