I constructed this meal one night when I was feeling particularly lazy but still wanted a decent home cooked dinner. It is therefore nice and easy to prepare, easy on the wallet and, since it actually lacks any chili at all, perfect for kids.
It’s naturally gluten-free and you can also omit the yoghurt and cheese for a vegan friendly version.
Not to mention it is super yummy!
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tin mixed beans
- 2 tins diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tin corn
- Handful of coriander (optional)
- 1/3 cup red onion
- Corn chips to serve
- Greek yoghurt to serve (omit for vegan meal)
- Grated cheese to serve (optional/omit for vegan meal)
- Cook 1 cup of rice. ( I use brown rice but any rice will do).
- Cook beef mince in a fry pan.
- Once meat is cooked add 2 tins of diced tomatoes and mixed beans. Season with cumin and paprika and mix well. Bring sauce to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa by combining the corn, red onion (diced), fresh tomato (diced) and coriander in a bowl.
- To serve place a small portion of rice in a bowl, top with beef mixture then grated cheese if you desire, followed by salsa and a tablespoon of Greek yoghurt. Eat with corn chips.
Everyone loves freebies, and who’s more deserving than the birthday boy or girl!
Here’s a round-up of all the things you can score when your birthday comes around (I hope you can eat a lot because there’s a lot of free food up for grabs).
There’s also bound to be things I have missed so leave a comment if you have more to add to this list!
- Nandos will give you a whole free birthday meal on any day during your birthday month. You must become a member before your birthday in order to receive your voucher via email.
- Boost Juice Vibe Club members receive a free original size juice on their birthday. This offer can also be claimed on one of the two days either side of your birthday.
- Grill’d Relish members get a free drink on their birthday with the purchase of a burger. (I’ll admit after the first two this one is a bit of a let down, at least throw some chips in there!).
- But wait it gets good again… San Churros will delight you with a free churros for two on your birthday. You do need to be a member of their El Social club, but even if you sign up on your birthday you can still claim your free churros – now you’re talking!
- Jamaica Blue gives members a free slice of cake to celebrate their birthday. You can sign up on your birthday in store and claim your cake right away. Plus, new members also get a free coffee – morning tea sorted!
- Muffin Break members can score a free birthday muffin.
- Join the Eat Fresh Club at Subway to receive a free lunch.
- The Outback Jacks Birthday Club gives members a free main course meal up to the value of $35 during their birthday month. However, it’s only valid when two or more main meals are ordered. If you book a table for four or more there’s also an extra birthday surprise (I have no idea what this is but if anyone does let me know in the comments).
- Cold Rock gives VIP members free ice cream and a cake voucher. You must have been a member eight days before your birthday in order to redeem your free ice cream and for 35 days to receive the voucher.
- It’s time to get something good into you… Sumo Salad’s Sumo Society will give you a free salad on your birthday. You must collect a membership card from in store to sign up.
- Gloria Jeans grants members a free drink on their birthday.
- Panchos in Victoria Park and Mount Lawley will treat you to a free birthday meal and dessert if you join their VIP Gringos Club. You must present your birthday letter to receive your freebies, but you can do so any time during your birthday month.
- Finally, if you still have some room head to the Spud Bar to claim your free birthday spud or salad, but only after joining The Secret Society of Spud. This freebie can be claimed on your birthday or the two days either side.
Happy birthday and I hope you enjoy your food coma! If you didn’t make it all the way then you’ve got something to aspire to next year.
Last weekend I ventured down the long road to Fremantle to take out my newest American friend for dinner. I did a bit of research into places to eat in Freo on a Saturday night, only to discover that most of the places I have been keen on trying are only open for breakfast and lunch, so it looks like I’ll need to venture there more frequently during the daylight hours.
We ended up at Little Creatures Brewery right on the waters edge. This place is large and impressive. I’ve only been here once before a long time ago and had fond memories of the steak sandwich.We found our own seat inside among the ginormous beer kegs and a waitress soon brought us menus. A quick glance down the menu and I realised I was starving, having been on a long ride that day and forgetting to snack between lunch and dinner (that is so unlike me). I was craving carbs so I ordered a woodfired pizza.I had the cured beef, rocket and bocconcini pizza and I devoured the entire thing.The perfect size for one (one hungry little person that is), this woodfired pizza was delicious but possibly on the touch too salty side. I loved the addition of rosemary and sea salt to the base of the thin pizza. However, with the addition of the cured beef and cheese there was quite a lot of salt going on. Thankfully I needed it that day after my exercise so it was all too easy to put away.
Allison ordered the salmon, which was an impressive chunk of fish. Unfortunately it wasn’t cooked all the way through (probably due to the piece being so thick). She still enjoyed the dish and the fries looked beautifully homemade (some with the skin still on).The payment service at the table was easy and convenient and they kindly let us split bill.
After dinner we enjoyed a pleasant walk along the Cappuccino strip before heading home.